Monday, December 14, 2009

11 hour flight, what to do

11 hour flight, what to do?
I will be travelling alone. I'm flying from Flint, Michigan to Anchorage, Alaska in a couple weeks. It's about an 11 hour plane ride. I don't like to sleep in front of people, so I probably will never fall asleep. I have a laptop but it's battery life won't make it through the entire trip, and with no internet or movies downloaded, there's not much on there to do anyways. I have an iTouch, what are some good, time consuming apps? I will have a carry on with me, what should I put in it? Should I bring food? I am flying Delta airlines. I read something about them serving dinner on the flight, is that true? I don't really care for reading, but am planning on bringing a book anyways. Probably will play some Sudoku on my iPod while listening to music. I'm 19, female. I've never flown by myself before, and the longest flight I've ever been on was only 5 hours, and I was pretty young. I know I have a window seat. Also, can anyone tell me if you can see land the whole time? Again, the flight is from Flint, Mi to Anchorage, Ak. Any suggestions would be great, thanks. Just wanted to say thanks so much for everyone who helped answer this question! I have lots of ideas now and should be okay for the flight. Thanks again. :]
Air Travel - 7 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I don't think you'll be able to make it 11 hours on a plane without falling asleep. There is no danger. Play games on your laptop while you have battery life. Definitely bring snacks. Not too much. On an 11 hour flight, yes they will serve you food. And drinks. I wouldn't use two things at the same time (ipod and book). This will leave you without anything to do for hours after they die or get boring. I've had to plan for flights up to 19 hours. Trust me on this. You might see land, but not in detail of any kind until you begin to descend. Usually the longer the flight, the higher you will go, but this is affected by the weather and of course the pilot. That will determine whether or not you will see ground. I've been flying since I was young and although I don't like being stuck for 19 hours I entertained myself with the things I brought with me and by looking out the window and talking to the people around me. The best thing to do to pass the time: Sleep.
2 :
What to do? - bring a book or two. Bring puzzles. Food? - you have to pay for food. It's better to bring your own snacks. Land? - the whole trip
3 :
For a flight that long, you'll probably be shown a movie. Bring your own headphones from your iPod, they work just fine. Can you download any videos onto your iPod? Or free video podcasts? Start now, it takes time to download all that! The games are a good idea. Do you have a hand held video game such as a DS or Gameboy? Most airlines no longer supply blankets or pillows so you may want to pack one of those blow up pillows or a small one you can squash into your carry on, along with a light, small blanket or large shawl. Make sure you get up and walk around every hour or so to prevent blood clots. Drink a lot of water while you're in the air because flying is extremely dehydrating and things like orange juice will make you bloated! (got that tip from a flight attendant!) Good luck and have fun at whatever your adventure is!
4 :
some good apps would be the impossible quiz and sallys spa. you should put dvd player, itouch, food, paper and pencil, and handheld gaming system. Yes they feed you food on the flight. Games on the ipod are good and books are always good. Read the books Vanish, Valley of the Shadows, and Patricia Cornwell books. They are all good. I have flown by myself before and i was only 14 or 15 years old. It isnt too bad to fly by yourself. And if ther eis any way to sleep then i advise you do it. i is very time consuming. Im pretty sure that you will see land most of the time. Look out the window the scenery is amazing! Hope this helps and have fun! :)
5 :
Plane trips are notoriously boring. That's just the way it is. You can rent a movie player on some planes. Bring some good books. Maybe you will have a chatty seatmate who's interesting. That can help pass a lot of time. Do bring your own snacks. Airlines have started charging for food and it's not that good anyway. Eat meals at the airport. As for if you will be overland the entire way, that depends upon your route. If you first go to Seattle then north, then probably not. It you go northwest over Canada, then probably. Of course this assumes there are no clouds. In which case you don't see anything but white outside.
6 :
There are some good time consuming apps. The more you downlaod the less bored you will be- Class paid apps : Doodle Jump - 59p - 5 stars - move your ipod touch to control where your doodle goes to jump onto the playfroms.Extremly addictive Angry Birds - 59p - 5 stars - aim of the game is to fling your birds of different powers into the green pigs towers. Addictive Oven Break Infinity - $1.59 (or in pounds) - 4 stars - jump and slide to get over obstickels and get to infinity mode in space.Addictive The Impossible Game - 59p - 3 stars - tap the moving square to jump over various objects - very addictive. The Moron Test - 59p - 4 star - complete the quiz of different levels - very addictive. iPoo - 59p - 3 star - interenet connection needed. See where people are doing it by map, stats, poo stream and others. Class free apps : Run Stick Run Lite - free - 4 star - simple but good. tap stick man to jump forward onto next ground. Addictve iDaft 2 - free- 4 star - press all the buttons to stronger, better, faster, stronger yourself. Unblock me Free - guess..? - 4 star - its like traffic jam execpt its blocks and very relaxing. Most Addictive Game Free - free - 5 star - hard to explain, but insanely addictive. Waterslide free - free - 2 star - turn your character around the waterslide and achieve points :) iCopter free - free - 4 star - its better than the paid version by far.You tap the airplane the fly around the blocks - very addictive. Bullet Bounce -free - 3 star - violent but good and amusing. Aim and shoot people in different positions around the room - very entertainingand addictive. Bump - free - 4 star - bump with other users - internet connection needed - and exchange pictures and videos ect. Cuber runner - free - 2 star - graphics arent amazing but is a very good game. These are all my favourites, but you might want to look on youtube for more. Hope this helped! Good Luck!
7 :
Long flights: they do have movies on board, usually. They also serve meals and snacks and beverages. You could bring your music of course, and why not a magazine or three. As for flying over water for a segment of the trip...The Great Lakes, perhaps and a bit of the ocean before landing but I am not sure about that. Do have a nice trip though.

Search News