Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Can I drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage in the Winter

Can I drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage in the Winter?
My husband and I are going to down to Anchorage to visit friends for Christmas and thinks it will be cheaper to drive then flight down there. I am just worried about where to get gas, snow and all that. We have a nice heavy duty truck with 4x4. So...can I drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage? What can expect? Is there anything I should know? Would it be smarter to Flight?
Other - United States - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
People drive back and forth all winter long. If your rig is good and winterized, and you have a spare tire, tow chain, and jumper then that should not be an issue. As a rule I don't make the trip without enough gear (parka, snow pants, boots, sleeping bag) to keep myself from freezing if anything went wrong. Cell phones do not work for big parts of the trip, so do not count on it to get you out of trouble. You probably already know that there are long streches of nothing, no towns, stores, light poles, electric lines, nothing. but the gas stations are close enough together that you can make the trip. many run shorter hours in the winter. if you are nervous leave Fairbanks 6-7 am ish. our gas stations are always credit card open. You will hit the non-urban parts stretch mid-day, and be in the Anchorage sprawl as the evening comes. All the usual advice, watch out for moose, frost heaves, and black ice. And I think the Milepost is hands down the best driving guide for Alaska. You can get it online, but Wal Mar and sometimes Safeway usually have it on sale.

Search News