Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ideas on packing for a trip to Alaska with an overnight airport layover? Travel Tips

Ideas on packing for a trip to Alaska with an overnight airport layover? Travel Tips?
I'm very excited! I will be heading to Kodiak Alaska for the month of July for the first time. I will be flying from Northern California, to Seattle with a 5 hour layover there. Then on to Anchorage for a 7 hour overnight layover in the Anchorage airport. Then an early flight from Anchorage to Kodiak. I'd like to think this whole trip will go smoothly with no problem & it very well might... but I can't shake that feeling of "I'm forgetting something". I'd like to not think, "hey, that would have been nice" when it's too late. Being fresh faced & put together for my arrival is my goal! Any travel tips to make my trip a laid back, easy one? Great items to pack for an airport stay? Great items to pack for Alaska in July? Must have items for the trip/flight? Advice? I'm sure there's many travelers out there who've done the same thing i'm doing... anything you wish you would have done or taken to make your trip easier or more organized?
Packing & Preparation - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
July is absolutely beautiful in Kodiak. There can be rain, especially near the latter part. Make sure you have everything you need clothing, toiletries, whatever before you go. kodiak is very expensive to live in. If you have 5 hours in Anchorage catch a shuttle to see downtown. If you are going to to work in a cannery, stock up on snack food. Also buy plenty of socks and a knit hat. Get a good lock. Be very, very aware of your surroundings at work and be aware you are entering a very rough environment. And I don't mean the bears or weather. The canneries are a very rough environment not unlike prison. Watch your back, be prepared to fight for what's yours and stand up for yourself.
2 :
The military flew me (and four boys) from Bahrain to Fresno. It took 4 days because we were late for one flight, so that resulted in being late and later for the rest of them. A few things that would have come in handy are travel toothbrush and toothpaste (SO expensive in airports, if you can even find them), CHANGE OF UNDERWEAR (I know it sounds silly but just trust me, lol), 2 hoodies - it gets seriously cold in the airport at night and you're going to need the other one for a pillow, some crossword or sudoku books or a Nintendo DS cause you are going to have TONS of free time. If you have a laptop you will TOTALLY be good to go, the wi-fi is a little pricey but it's worth it, you can bring movies or just play spider solitaire all night long!! Outlets are few and far between but if you don't mind running your power cord all over the place you'll be alright :) I'm sorry I can't be of much help planning for the whole trip, but I hope I was at least a little bit of help in the airport boredom area!

Search News